This is a variation of the Bakewell cake I've baked before, but this time with a raspberry flavour instead of the original cherry gluten free version posted here. If you ask me it tastes of May, holidays and sunshine (as well as almonds and raspberries of course).
Recipe Serves 8 -10
Adapted from the recipe at BBC Good Food Online, see the recipe here
150g ground almonds
150g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter
150g self raising flour
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
250g fresh raspberries
2 tbsp flaked almonds
1 tbsp icing sugar for decoration
1. Heat oven to 180 (160C Fan) and line and grease a 20cm spring form cake tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3, Add the first egg, and beat well before adding the second into the mixture. Beat again, before throwing in the ground almonds and almond extract.
4. Next sieve in half the flour, and stir gently with a metal spoon until well combined.
5. Sift in the rest of the flour and stir.
7. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the cake, then put in the oven to bake for approx 50 minutes. You'll know it's done when a skewer comes out clean.
9. When the cake is completely cool, remove from the tin and dust a little icing sugar over the top. Serve immediately.
This cake was idly baked while I listened to REM's album Automatic For The People